Have you had a chance to go on vacation yet? Will you be skipping town later, or not at all this year? Whatever your situation, I hope you’re having a beautiful summer full of small joys and vibrant flavors. Seeking summertime inspiration? Here are my best summer recipes!
• I love height-of-the-summer tomatoes so much it hurts! The producer who delivers a weekly selection of vegetables to our door every Monday has switched to full-on tomato mode with fruits of every color, every shape, and fabulous flavor; I couldn’t be happier. If you want to see what his selection looks like on any given week, watch this Facebook Live video. As for my favorite tomato recipes, check out my panzanella, my gazpacho and the tomato panade that’s included in The French Market Cookbook.
• I was out running some errands in the grands magasins neighborhood (= the Printemps and Galeries Lafayette department stores on Boulevard Haussmann) and I dropped by Café Pouchkine. Their blueberry bostock caught my eye, and I’m glad it did: it’s a slice of brioche garnished with almond cream à la almond croissant with a blueberry filling tart enough to balance out the overall sweetness of the pastry. Mind-blowing!
• My heart beats for fresh produce year-round, but July has to be my favorite time to visit Paris greenmarkets: many Parisians have left the city but there are still some vendors coming, and they have plenty of time to joke around and chat about the marvellous bounty the season brings. Pictured above : summer squash, graffiti eggplant, artichokes, new carrots, and a bunch of beets with their (edible) greens still on. (Oh, and Gelati shoes!)
• I was struck by the pretty plating of this appetizer I had at Le Moulin de la Galette in Montmartre. The sea bream sashimi with house-made tarama and pickled radishes was perfect for an al fresco summer lunch in the pretty courtyard.
5 Cool Links
- Giving your kids cooking skills is way more important than teaching them to play soccer.
- What’s it like to apprentice in a Paris bakery?
- I love me some illustrated puns.
- Got an all-encompassing love for cookbooks? Start a cookbook club! (Related: 6 tips to make the most of your cookbook collection.)
- I love this bean-to-bar chocolate made in Vietnam by French guys. Have you ever had it?