Amsterdam As A Family
French children had a school break in October, and we decided to spend a week in Amsterdam.
It’s a city Maxence and I are quite familiar with, having spent a number of long weekends there over the years, pre-kids. We were delighted to find it is a very family-friendly city, and we had a wonderful time strolling along the canals, exploring local playgrounds, dodging the bicycles, and spotting as many Fiat 500’s as we could.
Some highlights were:
- Renting our own boat to sail along the canals,
- Visiting the Nemo science museum,
- Having dinner at Café Restaurant Amsterdam,
- Shopping for food at the organic market on Noordermarkt,
- Stocking up on delicious and gorgeously packaged chocolate at STACH food,
- Marvelling at the amazing organic salads served at SLA,
- Finding a wonderful local sitter so we could have a couple of evenings to ourselves! ;)
For many more tips and recommendations, check this Instagram post where readers contributed their own favorites.
Tasting Paris Audio Bonus!
Just before we left, I spent a whole day with my producer recording the audio bonus that I will be offering you if you pre-order my cookbook Tasting Paris: 100 Recipes to Eat Like A Local.
It’s an audio programme in which I take you along my favorite market street in Montmartre to do some food shopping together. We had a lot of fun recording it, the food vendors played along brilliantly, and I loved the experience of approaching every moment, every interaction with my ears wide open, and noticing the unique soundscape of my neighborhood.
I will have more opportunities to remind you about it when it is edited and available, but you can pre-order Tasting Paris right now to get the audio bonus when the time comes.
I had two really nice mentions in October, both of them in French :
- I was profiled in Le Monde, and shared my famous yogurt cake,
- I appeared on Le Tube, Canal+’s show on media, to talk about my podcast. (October 21 show; I appear around minute 36:00.)
5 Fun Links For You
- The most entertaining essay I’ve ever read about *not* cooking. Now I want to go and read everything Taffy Brodesser-Akner has ever written.
- 30 Days At Sea — a timelapse video.
- What factors play into making delicious chocolate?
- Dorie Greenspan writes about dinner parties in Paris.
- If you’re taking part in NaNoWriMo, as I am, you may find this roundup of writing prompts useful.
What About You?
Any fun activities and finds for you this October?