Easy to use, easy to clean, and full of possibilities
I had long (and I do mean loooooong!) wanted a sandwich press and waffle iron, but wasn’t sure I could justify the cabinet space, until I set my heart on this griddler by Cuisinart.
Why I love this
I have been using my griddler several times a week since it entered our household. I rediscovered the pleasures of homemade croque-monsieur, the French grilled cheese and ham sandwich, a childhood favorite I had neglected for lack of a suitable tool, and I’ve been having a blast experimenting with various kinds of waffles, sweet and savory, including these Belgian waffles. Waffled hash browns, following a super easy recipe from the Will it Waffle? cookbook, have also been on heavy rotation.
The griddler itself is proving a pleasure to use, and I couldn’t be happier with it. It isn’t very heavy, which means it’s no trouble to take it in and out of the cabinet where it lives, and it takes up minimal space in my small Parisian kitchen. It heats up quickly, cleans very easily, and everything I’ve tried cooking with it has been a success.
What you should know about the Cuisinard griddler and waffle iron
These are the features that attracted me to this model:
- The plates are fully detachable and dishwasher-safe, for easy cleaning.
- The griddler has a removable tray that collects cooking juices to prevent any mess.
- The reversible plates (smooth vs. ridged) create more cooking possibilities with fewer accessories to store.
- You can set the temperature depending on what you’re making and how slow or fast you want it to cook.
- The griddler can be used closed or fully open, for a larger, open cooking surface.
- In closed mode, the “floating” top plate presses down evenly on the thickest sandwiches, cuts of meat, or fish fillets.
- You can get waffle plates (sold separately) to turn the griddler into a waffle iron, and multiply the possibilities.
I will note that I own the European model (GR40E), which has the same features as, and is equivalent to the US model (GR-4N). This EU-friendly griddler is available on Amazon France, as are the waffle plates.